This morning, I ate at The Old School Bagel Cafe.
They have Frank Sinatra album covers lining the bathroom walls.
A Few Observations:
- Far too many people alive today have never seen a vinyl record or really know what an album cover is.
- Frank Sinatra music is the second-greatest popular vocal music ever recorded (the first is Dean Martin).
- If you ever eat here at The Old School Bagel Cafe, and you should, order the Brooklyn Bomber (a popular sandwich throughout delis, although I kept thinking it was the “Boston Bomber” the first time I ate there… Oops! ). But when you order the Brooklyn Bomber, request that they substitute toasted rye for the bagel. You’ll thank me later.
- The only chink in the armor at Old School Bagel Cafe is that their Hazelnut coffee is not quite as good as Einstein Bros’ Hazelnut coffee. Old School Bagel Cafe uses a Hawaiin Hazelnut roast which means they add coconut flavoring to the roast. I love coconut! But… not blended with hazelnut roast flavors.
- Speaking of Einstein Bros’ Bagels, most people don’t know that Albert Einstein had a brother. His name was Frank. Yes. Frank.
- Lots of great things have happened in my life. But I constantly realize I appreciate smaller good things far more than the big ones. Like walking into a bathroom whose walls are lined with Frank Sinatra album covers. Like sitting at The Old School Bagel Cafe, sipping iced coffee, and eating a Brooklyn Bomber. It really doesn’t get better (unless they had Dean Martin playing in the background.)
- I’m fairly sure this will be my only post ever where I describe one of life’s best pleasures as walking into a men’s bathroom.