As important as the subject of baptism is in various parts of the Bible, one would think Christians today could answer the simple question: Why was Jesus baptized? It’s obvious they never thought about it before my question.
Note: Lots of Scriptural baptisms exist, such as baptism in water, through water, of fire, in the Holy Spirit, etc. We’re discussing only in-water baptism here.
When I ask people why Jesus was baptized, I often get blank stares.
So Pop Quiz Time!
Why was Jesus baptized?
- Baptism was better than tearing John’s shirt
- For the remission of His sins
- To be saved
- As an outward sign of an inward faith
- To be a member of the local church
- To be an Elder of the local church
Okay. Take your time. What’s the answer? [Read more…]